Friday, December 4, 2009

Existential ecstasy




The sun has now set on another ecstatic "pinch me" day. For various reasons, I shall not write about it, but instead share some photographs and conclude with a poem and a quote that express what I would most like to communicate.







Evening

Here dies another day
During which I have had eyes, ears, hands
And the great world ‘round me;
And with tomorrow begins another.
Why am I allowed two?


From the notebook of G.K. Chesterton, many of whose jottings reflect his amazement, actual astonishment at the wonder of existence,… an existential ecstasy, rather than existential dread. He also noted: “Existence is the deepest fact we can think of, and it is such a nice fact. Are we all dust? What a beautiful thing dust is, though.” It is as if G.K. snorted the dust of life, and became very, very high on it. (He was also a devout Christ follower.) How many times did I exhort the boys to "suck the marrow from the bones of life", but I myself was not doing so,... not at all! I rejoice in discovering that it is never too late to develop good marrow sucking habits.

"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately, to suck the marrow from the bones of life; to put to rout all that was not life, and not to come to the end of life, and discover that I had not lived."
- Henry David Thoreau