Sunday, June 3, 2012

Can you explain this to them (and me)?

Today I was on the treadmill at the Serena Hotel, attempting to get in shape and build endurance to keep up with Dale and incoming visitors. iPod on. Earbuds in,... listening to “Let's Pretend We're in Antarctica,"... watching a special CNN program (on mute) of Queen Elizabeth's Diamond Jubilee Celebration. Now I mean no disrespect for Her Majesty, the Queen, or any of the Royals or their loyal subjects. But I began to get a little lightheaded and hallucinate, convinced that somebody had slipped something into my water bottle. My mind was filled with images beyond those imagined by Lewis Carroll (who we know had something slipped into his water bottle), JRR Tolkein (who must give due credit to a few pints), Walt Disney, and George Lucas. I was amazed, awed, and amused by the pomp and circumstance, the opulence,... the absurdity of life:

Where's the party?



I would think that the Queen would be able to afford a car.


Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum were there.



Hats need not make any sense.

Lilliput invades Blefuscu.


The rest of the world was quite suspicious when Rwandan flags were waived in such a manner.


Cinderella came late.



I would prefer life filled with amusing absurdities than life we pridefully presume to fully understand. But these absurdities become very uncomfortable and we appear ridiculously selfish when we cannot offer to others any rational explanation or justification for our extravagant behavior:
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*


I too am a woman with a heavy burden (and no car)


Just a cup of clean water for my baby sister, please

Will work hard for food 

I would like to go to school and become a doctor

It's hard
I am content

Why do they do that? Maybe the woman in the hat can tell us.