Saturday, November 5, 2011

Peace Like a River, Leif Enger


I have never before read a book that I could not put down,… a story that I did not want to end,… with characters who I did not want to utter “goodbye.” Frankly, I do not know why I ever picked it up, but if you read it perhaps that question will be answered within its pages. It was a gift from my friend Tricia Crisafulli, a random gift received with gratitude but was surely destined to gather dust alongside my many other unread books. But in a rare leisure moment I picked up Peace Like a River by Leif Enger, could not set it back down, and I have been profoundly moved, confused and inspired. I dare not attempt to describe it except to tell you that it is NOT a Paul Simon tune nor a sugar coated Daily Devotional as the title might suggest; it is a tightly knit story with lovable, hateable, struggling characters. It is filled with fresh phrases, metaphors, and literary references more delicious than perfectly shapened, sun-ripened strawberries. But you have to believe in miracles to like this book. I loved it!