Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The immeasurable Power within

Christians, by definition, are awed by the fact that God became man and dwelt amongst us,... the incarnation. However, we should be equally awestruck, arguably even more awestruck, by the unimaginable, unexplainable, outrageous fact that God decided to take up residence in each of us who receives and believes in Him,...  the indwelling. Imagine: As we walk through this world, each believer is a vessel and transporter of He who conceived and created the entire Universe. He indwells each believer and chooses to work through us. (My, o my! He is a God with immeasurable patience, humor and hope.) If I really believe this (and I do), I should either be awestruck to the point of total paralysis OR I should walk tall with great courage and confidence (AND humility), fully expecting to accomplish great works which glorify Him, for these works are accomplished by His will, design, wisdom and power (not mine).

Why is God's indwelling not acknowledged, taught, and celebrated with equal fervor as His incarnation? It should be the most fundamental fact that drives and directs my entire existence,... and should indeed compel me to do great things,... the very things for which I have been created. This immeasurable Power within desires to be exercised, but that may be my decision and dependent upon my faith.


"… [I]t is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work. Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the miracles themselves. I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these…". John 14 



"Abide in me as I abide in you.... I am the vine, you are the branches. Those who abide in me and I in them bear much fruit...". John 15

[I know that there are other verses that could be offered concerning the fact and the power of the indwelling, but I am outa time. Perhaps someone can help me out here.]

This insight must be attributed to Malcolm Street of Fort Worth, who I met this past year when he visited Rwanda, and taught me much, and became a great friend and brother. When we speak of “transforming lives at both ends of the Bridge", that may occur in many variations. We always hope that the lives of our visitors are transformed, but we must not be surprised when our own lives are transformed by our visitors.