Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Contentment

Contentment is elusive. The more (stuff) a person has, the more elusive the joy of contentment seems to be. So much (stuff) to worry about,... MY stuff that somebody probably wants to take away from me. 

For others, contentment is as simple as having something in his or her stomache,... although that is not always such a simple matter.

I once heard that a poor person has a greater chance of being happy than a rich person, because the poor person always hopes for that "someday when..... and then life will be really good." There is great joy in living for that hope and dream. But the rich person who now "has everything" discovers that fulfillment of his/her hopes and dreams has proven to be ungratifying,... acquisition was achieved, but contentment was not, and the void remains, but now without the hope and definition as to what to long for.

I should give great thought to what I shall hope. May it be simple, like "Give me this day, my daily bread." And may it be for things that are true, and last, and truly satisfy.


How many times have
You heard someone say
If I had his money
I could do things my way

But little they know
That it's so hard to find
One rich man in ten
With a satisfied mind

The wealthiest person
Is a pauper at times
Compared to the man
With a satisfied mind