Thursday, October 22, 2009

He's on my tail!


When we are alerted to the truth by someone’s clear, succinct statement of it, we often find such “truth” affirmed over and over, everywhere we look and in diverse, random conversations and readings. There is no escape from truth. Two posts back, Tommy Allen wrote a “Comment” that I now find affirmed everywhere, including my reading this morning:

“If you are neutral in a situation of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has his foot on the tail of the mouse, and you say you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality.”

Desmond Tutu
Anglican Bishop of South Africa

And just as I must avoid the paralysis that comes with "false guilt", I must also reject the comfort that comes with the "false ignorance" that pretends to explain my neutrality.